Education & Background
- Undergraduate – University of Michigan, BS with High Distinction, 1975
- Medical School – University of Cincinnati Medical School, 1979
- Internship – Wayne State University Hospitals, 1980
- Residency – The Kresge Eye Institute, 1983
- Board Certified Fellow – American Academy of Ophthalmology, 1985
- Member – American Academy of Ophthalmology, American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery, Arizona Ophthalmology Society, Phoenix Ophthalmology Society
- Certified on AMO Intralase Femtosecond laser for bladeless LASIK (2014)
- Certified on the LenSx Laser (2014)
- Certified with the Pelleve S5 Wrinkle Reduction System (2012)
- Certified Nidek EC-5000 Excimer Laser (2011)
- Certified Moria One Use-Plus SBK Thin Flap LASIK (2011)
- Certified VISX STAR S4 Excimer Laser (1995) / Custom Vue Visx (2003) and all Refractive Errors
- Certified LASIK / Hansatome (1996) / Zyoptix
Meet Dr. Benjamin Heller
Dr. Newman spent his early career as a Medical Director of the Ophthalmology Dept at Bryan Medical Group, Ohio and Clinical Assistant Professor at the Medical College of Ohio Ophth
Dr. Ben is a 2nd generation board certified Ophthalmologist who was born and raised here in Phoenix, Arizona. He received a bachelor’s degree in Biology at Arizona State University. He furthered his education with a medical degree at Touro University – College of Osteopathic Medicine in Henderson, Nevada. Dr. Ben completed Ophthalmology residency at Nova Southeastern University in conjunction with Larkin Community Hospital.
Dr. Ben specializes in high volume cataract, MIGS, refractive cataract, and pterygium surgery. His true passions professionally are surgical procedures and research. He is active in research and is currently enrolling patients in several trials ranging from glaucoma surgical devices to dry eye trials.
In his spare time he enjoys spending time with his family and traveling.
almology Dept, Medical College of Ohio. Upon moving to Phoenix, Arizona, he became medial director for the Omni-Medivision Eye Center (1988 -1990). Soon after in 1990, he began his private practice, Newman Eye Center. He has improved the vision of thousands of patients in the North Phoenix area over the last 25 years. He regularly attends the meetings of the American Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgery and the American Academy of Ophthalmology, to offer the latest in ophthalmology surgeries and procedures.
Meet Dr. Matthew A. Heller
Dr. Matthew Heller received his bachelor’s degree in Biology from the University of Arizona and attended medical school at Midwestern University – Arizona College of Osteopathic Medicine. He completed his ophthalmology residency at Nova Southeastern University in Davie, Florida in 2015. During his residency, he received the Patrick Murray Academic Achievement Award, a distinguished scholarship awarded to only three residents annually.
Dr. Matthew Heller is a board certified ophthalmologist who specializes in high volume cataract and minimally invasive glaucoma surgery(MIGS). He also performs laser vision correction, blepharoplasty, and evaluates and treats all kinds of eye conditions including dry eye, macular degeneration, and pterygium.
Outside of his passion for eye care he enjoys spending time with his wife Kelly and his three children Bo, Kira, and Lawson.
Meet Dr. Troy R. Cappi
Dr. Cappi received his Bachelor of Science degree in Biology at Northern Illinois University. He furthered his education at Midwestern University – Arizona College of Optometry where he earned his Doctor of Optometry degree.
During his clinical externships, Dr. Cappi completed extensive training in treating and managing ocular diseases including diabetic retinopathy, glaucoma, macular degeneration, and dry eye. He also received training in pre and post-operative care for cataract and refractive surgery, pediatric eye exams, and binocular vision disorders. Dr. Cappi enjoys fitting glasses and soft contact lenses.
Outside of work, Dr. Cappi enjoys spending time with his fiancé Kaylee and their two australian shepards.
Newman Eye Center is a boutique practice dedicated to providing the highest quality eye care in a professional, caring, and cost-effective manner. Our goals are vision correction, restoration, and sight preservation. We provide services including the diagnosis and treatment of cataracts and glaucoma, in-house laser vision correction, and cosmetic procedures.
The office was custom designed to give you the most personalized eye-care experience possible.
Our staff consists of some of the most highly qualified and compassionate eye-care professionals, eager to serve you.
- Two testing rooms with up to date diagnostic equipment
- Three exam rooms
- In office OR suite for YAG, Green diode and Visx excimer laser procedures
- Surgical microscope, autoclaves, and Pellevé radiofrequency skin tightening
Need a new pair of glasses or a comfortable pair of contact lenses in your new prescription?
Our friendly licensed optician, Doreen, is available to assist you.